Sunday, January 27, 2008

How I feel about polygamy

I think the way I feel about polygamy is approximately the way I feel about adopting children.

1.) It's something you do out of love, not out of a need to be loved. (Or at least, that's the appropriate motivation.)

2.) If the Lord commands it, there must be a way. Nevertheless,

3.) I couldn't do it alone. Sorry. I just don't have that much capability, and I would mess up. Frequently. I would absolutely require full support from my counterpart and/or divine intervention.

So, even though I like kids a lot I won't be adopting any, any time soon. And I'm not going to marry some random girl, either--it would feel too much like polygamy, since my heart is already allocated, and as stated above I can't split myself in two that way without support. And if I had support from her, I'd be married to her and not to our hypothetical random girl. QED.

-Max

--
"The presentation or 'gift' of the Holy Ghost simply confers upon a man the right to receive at any time, when he is worthy of it and desires it, the power and light of truth of the Holy Ghost, although he may often be left to his own spirit and judgment." --Joseph F. Smith (manual, p. 69)

Be pretty if you are,
Be witty if you can,
But be cheerful if it kills you.

No comments: