Thursday, October 30, 2008

Public Education

Interesting quote from Brigham Young (Apr 6, 1877 conference address):

Many of you may have heard what certain journalists have had to say about Brigham Young being opposed to free schools. L am opposed to free education as much as I am opposed to taking property from one man and giving it to another who knows not how to take care of it.

But when you come to the fact, I will venture to say that I school ten children to every one that those do who complain so much of me. I now pay the school fee of a number of children who are either orphans or sons and daughters of poor people. But in aiding and blessing the poor I do not believe in allowing my charities to go through the hands of a set of robbers who pocket nine-tenths themselves, and give one-tenth to the poor. Therein is the difference between us: i am for the real act of doing and not saying. Would I encourage free schools by taxation? No! (SD 18:357)

Max
--
"The presentation or 'gift' of the Holy Ghost simply confers upon a man the right to receive at any time, when he is worthy of it and desires it, the power and light of truth of the Holy Ghost, although he may often be left to his own spirit and judgment." --Joseph F. Smith (manual, p. 69)

"Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

No comments: