Sunday, July 8, 2012

Adam and Eve

Okay, now. Thoughts on Adam and Eve...

The Lord does call it a "transgression" in Moses 6 when he says "I have forgiven thee thy transgression in the garden of Eden." I'm not really sure what to make of this, whether it implies that there was a better course of action, or what that course was. I'm not really sure whether the transgression was partaking of the fruit, period, or not consulting the Lord before he acted, or what. The only thing I can draw for sure from this is that Adam felt bad about his actions in Eden, and it had weighed on his mind.

The original word "sin" was a fairly neutral word. It comes from archery, and it means "to miss the target." In that sense, perhaps "sin" and "transgression" are similar. However, as we commonly use the word "sin," it means something stronger: uncleanness, that which the Lord cannot look upon with the least degree of allowance. Accidental harm (e.g. dropping a piano on someone's foot) cannot be sin in this sense, although it can certainly be transgression and can merit a contrite apology. Note that all the suffering D&C 19:18-19 could be justly attributed to Adam's transgression[1].

Moses 6:53 is a very puzzling verse to me in many respects, not just for the use of the word "transgression" but because it doesn't seem to be a direct answer to Adam's question--which may mean that Adam was asking a different question than I think he was. Maybe the Lord was addressing Adam's subtext.

I'll give you two additional pieces of data, both relating to the book of Moses.

JST Old Testament 2 (the latest version) at one point had this in verse 23:

Therefore I give unto you a commandment to teach these things freely unto your Children Saying that in as much as they were born into the World by reason of the fall which bringeth death by water & blood & the Spirit which I have made & so became of dust a living soul even so ye must be born again of water & the spirit & cleansed by blood even the blood of mine only begotten into the mysteries of the kingdom of Heaven

This was crossed out and rewritten as this:

Therefore, I give unto you a commandment, to teach these things freely unto your children, saying that by reason of transgression cometh the fall, which fall bringeth death. And in as much as they were born into the world by watter, and blood, and the spirit which I have made, and so became of dust a living soul; even so ye must be born again, into the kingdom of heaven, of watter, and of the spirit, and be cleansed by blood, even the blood of mine only begotten

Something in that paragraph was considered important enough to be worth rewriting for more clarity. The biggest differences I see are emphasizing the causal link between transgression and the fall (and thus, indirectly, to death), and that the rebirth is back into the kingdom of heaven.

Item two is from Moses 7:13. At one point it said (note that this is also the version which is in the Pearl of Great Price),

the Lord said unto Enoch, behold, these thy Brethren, they are the workmanship of mine own hands, & I gave unto them their knowledge in the day that I created them & in the Garden of Eden gave I unto man his agency; & unto thy brethren have I said, & also gave commandment, that they should love one another, & that they should Choose me their Father

It was then altered as follows:

the Lord said unto Enoch, behold, these thy Brethren, they are the workmanship of mine own hands, & I gave unto them their knowledge intelligence in the day that I created them & in the Garden of Eden gave I unto man hisad agency; & unto thy brethren have I said, & also gave commandment, that they should love one another, & that they should Choose me their Father serve me their God

To me this emphasizes a couple of interesting things, including the difference between advice and commandment and what it means to "choose" a Father (cf. John 8:44 and Romans 8:17). But the main difference I see is an emphasis on man having intelligence and exercising agency from the very beginning.

None of this adds up to a conclusive answer to your question, but I hope you find it interesting. Further study is merited.

-Max

[1] Well, okay. Except for the very tiny fraction which would have come from Eve alone, if Adam hadn't partaken as well.

--
Hahahahaaaa!!! That is ME laughing at YOU, cruel world.
    -Jordan Rixon

I could not love thee, dear, so much,
Loved I not Honour more.

No comments: