Sunday, November 13, 2016

Clemency abuse

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/featured/bloodiest-medieval-war-fought-bucket.html

Here's one way to abuse clemency. 'To make his edict stick, the pope offered indulgences to anyone who successfully attacked Bonacolsi and/or his property. Indulgences were a guarantee that sins were either forgiven or lightened to the extent that one didn't have to burn in hell. Not even for the sin of murder.'

Tom Kratman, no dummy he, has previously observed in one of his SF novels (Caliphate, IIRC) that an (evil, psychotic, awful) President could use the Presidential pardoning power in just such a way. Spoiler alert: that Presidency doesn't turn out well for the U.S., but it turns out even worse for Iran.

--
If I esteem mankind to be in error, shall I bear them down? No. I will lift them up, and in their own way too, if I cannot persuade them my way is better; and I will not seek to compel any man to believe as I do, only by the force of reasoning, for truth will cut its own way.

"Thou shalt love thy wife with all thy heart, and shalt cleave unto her and none else."

No comments: