Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Genius

Miss Manners is a genius. That's why I read her column, because she is much cleverer about dealing with people's feelings than I am. Two genius answers in the same column:

Link

-Max

P.S. Miss Manners hates blogs. This gives me mixed feelings about having one, but Adam requested that I start one, and I'll try almost anything once.

P.P.S. In response to a comment I got encouraging me to live life free of the constraints opposed by the opinions of 1930's-era old ladies:

1.) Okay, she doesn't actually hate blogs, per se. She hates people who post personal details on blogs, as if it were a diary, but in public.

2.) I don't think she's outdated at all. Rather, she's very good at understanding people and cultural context. I don't always agree with her solutions, but she's good at helping me understand the likely consequences of my actions, in the context of 21st century America.

3.) Did I mention that she's a genius?

--
"The presentation or 'gift' of the Holy Ghost simply confers upon a man the right to receive at any time, when he is worthy of it and desires it, the power and light of truth of the Holy Ghost, although he may often be left to his own spirit and judgment." --Joseph F. Smith (manual, p. 69)

Be pretty if you are,
Be witty if you can,
But be cheerful if it kills you.

No comments: