Friday, March 14, 2008

One thing I really like about McCain

Is that he fights fair. Not your stereotypical politician, although perhaps many of them aren't.

(Aside: I've been reflecting recently on politics in America, and how much weak-kneed apparent cowardice is a consequence of the fact (?) that politicians in Washington are acutely aware that they do not have the power to make promises that bind the voters. A moratorium on earmarks was just voted down. How many politicians would have liked to vote against earmarks in principle, but were afraid of the wrath of their constituents if their own particular earmarks were ended? Not all, but perhaps some. Note that the actual feelings of the constituents in question with respect to earmarks is irrelevant; only the fear of their wrath is necessary.)

-Max

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/03/john_mccains_full_hour_on_hann.html

HANNITY: [You said that] "I'm sure that Senator Clinton would make a good president."

MCCAIN: But what I mean by that, from the standpoint of the philosophy and beliefs that they -- in other words, I think she's a person of integrity. I think Senator Obama is a person of integrity. It's not that they're not good people. It's that they are liberal Democrats, and this is a fundamental clash between a liberal Democrat and a conservative Republican.

I respect their views; I just strongly disagree with them. So when it -- so when that's taken out of context, quote, "good," good for the policies and programs and ideology that she and Senator Obama hold. I mean, they're good -- they're decent people.

HANNITY: Well, let me ask...

MCCAIN: But it is a strong difference of views. And I think there's going to be more stark differences in this campaign than there's been in a long time.

--
"The presentation or 'gift' of the Holy Ghost simply confers upon a man the right to receive at any time, when he is worthy of it and desires it, the power and light of truth of the Holy Ghost, although he may often be left to his own spirit and judgment." --Joseph F. Smith (manual, p. 69)

Be pretty if you are,
Be witty if you can,
But be cheerful if it kills you.

No comments: