Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Public Education

From a comment on Selenian Boondocks:

I dropped out of the 6th grade in Texas in 1969. When I went back to night school in Florida in 1975, I was not behind students that had dropped out of the 11th and 12th grades. My only reading in the meantime was recreational. There is no way 5 grades can be skipped and still be on a level playing field IF those students had been getting a legitimate education.

In my case, no schooling actually matched public schooling. All four teachers in that semester told me to get a GED and quit wasting my time in their classes.

OTOH, I still don't quite deal with people as well as those that did school with their peers. And I used to be much worse.

Anecdotal but frankly not surprising.

-Max

--
"The presentation or 'gift' of the Holy Ghost simply confers upon a man the right to receive at any time, when he is worthy of it and desires it, the power and light of truth of the Holy Ghost, although he may often be left to his own spirit and judgment." --Joseph F. Smith (manual, p. 69)

Be pretty if you are,
Be witty if you can,
But be cheerful if it kills you.

No comments: