Thursday, May 14, 2009

Musings on womankind

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 11:02 AM, ... wrote:
> I agree.  I'm still hopeful that you and I will find a woman
> worth marrying that reciprocates such feelings.

Well, obviously yes. Simple logic says that in an infinite universe, anything which exists in quantities greater than 1 exists in infinite quantity. I know of more than one (though currently fewer than five) girls whom I would be willing to marry, if she wanted us to. Ergo, there are an infinite number, and sooner or later one of them will reciprocate the feeling and we probably will get married. That's all in the far future, though, and not really something that should concern us in the here-and-now. We've always known things are going to turn out well in the long run.

In other words, I'm currently optimistic about individual relationships, not just the far future. I'm gradually realizing that women are far more security-driven than men are. Regardless of whom you eventually marry, regardless of whom W----- eventually marries, current data suggests that inasmuch as you show unconditional love[1] for W-----, there's a part of her that appreciates it[2] and you have a good chance of being friends in the long-term. With her as an individual, not just some random fungible woman. To me that's a cheerful thought.

To put it yet another way, current evidence is that your friendship with W----- is based on something fundamentally solid: http://scriptures.lds.org/en/dc/88/40#40. Of course we won't know for sure until all the data are in and the world is over.

-Max

[1] Using the conventional terminology. I'd pick a different word for it myself, but I think you get the idea.

[2] Which isn't to say that she doesn't have other feelings as well. E.g. she may appreciate knowing that you will always be there for her, but simultaneously feel bad for not being attracted to you, etc. Women are emotionally complex.

--
"The presentation or 'gift' of the Holy Ghost simply confers upon a man the right to receive at any time, when he is worthy of it and desires it, the power and light of truth of the Holy Ghost, although he may often be left to his own spirit and judgment." --Joseph F. Smith (manual, p. 69)

"Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

No comments: