Monday, August 31, 2009

Message in a Bottle

Dear K.,
 
How are you? I mean that sincerely. The fact that my mind is blank ought perhaps to clue me in to the possibility that I ought to write later when I do have something to say, but I can't help wanting to interact with you in some way anyway. For so long you've been my best friend--who knows how long? maybe years, maybe centuries--but there's still so much about you that I only guess at, but wish to know. So, dear friend, how are you?
 
I love the climate and terrain here in Washington. One thing about desk jobs though--it's important for me to interact with the actual physical universe because of all the time I spend living in my head, and it takes a fairly deliberate effort to do so. Pain is a funny thing. Though it isn't pleasant in and of itself, there's something deeply satisfying about having worked hard enough to have sore muscles all over your body.
 
I really like my new apartment, by the way. It's my first time without roommates, and to my surprise I find that rather than being lonely I enjoy controlling the whole space, deciding how most efficiently to use each room, internalizing the details of what I own and precisely where it is, and what is okay to throw away or not buy in the first place. And when I clean something it stays clean--it's very motivating. I think so far at least I have fewer urges to go out and spend money--perhaps that was a coping mechanism for getting away from people (and clutter).
 
I also bought an iPod Nano. It's amazingly small and light. Music makes me happy. I continue to read (both sci-fi/fantasy and nonfiction, variously scientific, psychological, political, or business-oriented). How are your hobbies?
 
It's nice to talk with you. Be well, dear friend.
 
Love,
Maximilian
 
P.S. I now have a multicolored propeller beanie. Watching the red propeller spin in the wind makes me happy.
 
(Hmmm. "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Propeller Beanie." Because seriously, what is more amazing and enviable, a coat or a hat? What do you think?)
 
--
Rock Is Dead. Long Live Scissors!
 
"The presentation or 'gift' of the Holy Ghost simply confers upon a man the right to receive at any time, when he is worthy of it and desires it, the power and light of truth of the Holy Ghost, although he may often be left to his own spirit and judgment." --Joseph F. Smith (manual, p. 69)

No comments: