Saturday, August 24, 2013

Asking In Prayer About the Book of Mormon

[from a conversation with B.J.]

When I was in the MTC, they kind of made a big deal about praying about the Book of Mormon to know if it's true.

I'd never done it before, and honestly I was kind of embarrassed to do so, but at the same time I knew that at some point someone (an investigator) was going to ask me if I had and it would be simpler to be able to just say, "Yes," instead of explaining why it was unnecessary.

So I did.

And the way the conversation went, metaphorically, was kind of like this:

[Heavenly Father is reading the newspaper]

Max: Um, Father? Is the Book of Mormon true?

[Heavenly Father raises his eyebrows as if to say, "I know that you know that I know that you know..."]

Max: Yeah, that's what I thought.

[end scenario]

It was kind of embarrassing, and sort of a formality, but we both knew why I did it, and it did make things simpler in the long run.

So that's my story.

--
Deck thyself now with majesty and excellency; and array thyself with glory and beauty.
Cast abroad the rage of thy wrath: and behold every one that is proud, and abase him.
Look on every one that is proud, and bring him low; and tread down the wicked in their place.
Hide them in the dust together; and bind their faces in secret.
Then will I also confess unto thee that thine own right hand can save thee.

I could not love thee, dear, so much,
Loved I not Honor more.

No comments: