Saturday, April 16, 2016

Paradox of Leadership

There's a tension in the gospel which almost looks like a paradox: we are instructed to be the light of the world and the salt of the earth, to invite others to come to Christ. But we are also told that the Church is a hospital for sinners, not a cathedral (or whatever) only for saints. That is, everyone is welcome no matter where they are in their spiritual progression.

This means that there may come a time, or many times, when you see people around you even at church who embarrass you. Don't be shocked or disappointed or disillusioned. It's part of the plan. When this happens, you need to:

(1) Exercise charity. Do not judge them too harshly for their weaknesses.
(2) Realize that maybe you are the spiritual adult in the room. Be the light for them. Do not contend, but do not compromise your integrity either. Just do what is right.

In short, the answer is individual virtue. We're called to be the light of the world not only to the world but to each other. You'll know you're living the gospel right when you sometimes feel alone.

"The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?"

~B.C.

--
If I esteem mankind to be in error, shall I bear them down? No. I will lift them up, and in their own way too, if I cannot persuade them my way is better; and I will not seek to compel any man to believe as I do, only by the force of reasoning, for truth will cut its own way.

I could not love thee, dear, so much,
Loved I not Honor more.

No comments: