Saturday, October 15, 2016

Sentiment

I like it when girls don't do the "boyfriend" thing and boys don't do the "girlfriend" thing. I appreciate people who have the foresight and moral courage to do "do, or not not" as Yoda would say; "there is no try." As near as I can tell, you don't lose out on anything important by just doing things the same way that Anne Shirley and Gilbert Blythe did, to name one example*: be friends, get to know each other, be frank about your (hopefully-mutual) admiration, and make commitments when you're ready to actually commit. But there's no reason to make a temporary semi-commitment ("boyfriend") right there in the middle.

Whenever I find out that someone else thinks that way too, it cheers me up inside. Maybe I'm crazy, but at least I'm not crazy AND alone.

* Other examples: Garion and Ce'Nedra, Peter Joshua (Brian Crookshanks) and Regina Lampert, Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet, Apodictic Blue and Yellow Amusement.

--
If I esteem mankind to be in error, shall I bear them down? No. I will lift them up, and in their own way too, if I cannot persuade them my way is better; and I will not seek to compel any man to believe as I do, only by the force of reasoning, for truth will cut its own way.

"Thou shalt love thy wife with all thy heart, and shalt cleave unto her and none else."

No comments: