Thursday, December 6, 2007

Four sparrows

Dear Y.A.,

I just got back from Institute, and I have some things written on my palm that I need to tell you about:

1.) I wonder how many people are aware that, according to Mormon doctrine, only Mormons go to hell? Depending upon what you mean by "hell," of course, but "the only ones upon whom the second death shall have any power" is what I mean here. (D&C 76:35,38.)

2.) You know those sorts of people who say that Mormons aren't Christian? To a certain extent I'm sympathetic and can see where they're coming from, but then you run into one of the ones who also claims that Catholics aren't Christian, and then I lose patience. If your version of "Christian" doesn't include "Catholic" you are clearly not speaking English any more. Hello, the Crusades? Muslims and Christians? Some of the Crusaders may have been Orthodox, but mostly they were Catholic--they sure weren't Anglicans and Baptists.

3.) Within the Church, it's not uncommon to hear people express their gratitude for the Atonement with an observation that "I know that Jesus would still have [suffered Gethsemane and death on the cross] even if it had only been for me." That kind of thinking doesn't really move me. Of course he would have. Today, my Institute teacher bore his testimony at one point that there really "was no other good enough / To pay the price of sin," and that nobody else would have been qualified to be the Savior. A thought struck me: "Which suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit—and would that I might not drink the bitter cup, and shrink—Nevertheless, glory be to the Father, and I partook and finished my preparations unto the children of men." Jesus would have volunteered for the job even if there had been somebody else available to do it. For the first time, I was awed. I've been feeling for a while that I need to work harder at "exactness and honor," and--I don't think I can express how this is relevant. Well, it is.

4.) Define "justice." My teacher asked this question today.

Here's my definition. Justice is about the inevitable consequences of a choice or an action. Mercy is about intervening to shield someone from the consequences of what they've done. If you juggle dynamite, sooner or later you will hurt yourself. Someone can step in and catch the dynamite for you once, or twice, and that's mercy, but if you persist in your foolishness nothing can help you. And that's why mercy cannot rob justice. It just cannot be done.

-B.C.

P.S. Okay, here's what I was trying to say with #3: I'm a wimp sometimes. I let myself off easy when it comes to certain hard things. Jesus did not do this. I'm trying to quit it. They're not even hard hard things--it's just stuff like doing my calisthenics or going to bed on time--I'm just being a wimp and making too many exceptions.

--
"The presentation or 'gift' of the Holy Ghost simply confers upon a man the right to receive at any time, when he is worthy of it and desires it, the power and light of truth of the Holy Ghost, although he may often be left to his own spirit and judgment." --Joseph F. Smith (manual, p. 69)

Be pretty if you are,
Be witty if you can,
But be cheerful if it kills you.

No comments: