Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Machiavelli, on the three types of intellects

[T]here are three classes of intellects: one which comprehends by itself; another which appreciates what others comprehend; and a third which neither comprehends by itself nor by the showing of others; the first is the most excellent, the second is also excellent, but the third is useless. -Niccolo Machiavelli

I mostly have the second class of intelligence--I'm good at following ideas that other people have already come up with. In a few areas I have the first class and am able to generate good ideas before other people do. I hope I do not fall into the third class very often or in very many areas.

-Max

--
If I esteem mankind to be in error, shall I bear them down? No. I will lift them up, and in their own way too, if I cannot persuade them my way is better; and I will not seek to compel any man to believe as I do, only by the force of reasoning, for truth will cut its own way.

"Thou shalt love thy wife with all thy heart, and shalt cleave unto her and none else."

No comments: