Friday, September 7, 2018

That's Life

Here's a story about Xave that I like to tell people. It's the meanest thing I ever did to my little brother:

Once upon a time, I must have been maybe fifteen or so and Xave would have been maybe eight years old, and Xave really, really wanted someone to play Life, the board game, with him. I think he asked my sisters and they must have said no, so he came to me and was like, "Max, will you please play Life with me?" I was going to say no but then I had an idea which struck me as hilarious, so I said, "Okay Xave, if you give me five dollars, I'll play Life with you." He was only a little kid but he must have had some Christmas money saved up or something because after some hemming and hawing, he came up with a five dollar bill. I put out my hand and he put the five dollar bill in my hand. Then I put it in my pocket and went back to what I was doing. "That's life," I said.
And I never gave him the money back.

I feel bad about it now but at the time I was laughing too hard inside to think about the ethics of robbing a little kid of his Christmas money for the sake of a joke.

~BC

--
If I esteem mankind to be in error, shall I bear them down? No. I will lift them up, and in their own way too, if I cannot persuade them my way is better; and I will not seek to compel any man to believe as I do, only by the force of reasoning, for truth will cut its own way.

"Thou shalt love thy wife with all thy heart, and shalt cleave unto her and none else."

No comments: