Monday, April 6, 2020

On the Good Friday COVID-19 fast

I've long had a complicated relationship with fasting. For the longest time, from a religious perspective, I couldn't figure out what it was for or why Heavenly Father would care if you fasted prior to praying. In some ways it felt kind of like a temper tantrum--like holding your breath until you get what you want.

Ironically, the insights I needed came from the secular side of things, especially Dr. Jason Fung's writings on the role insulin and associated hormones play in the metabolic process. I found that fasting, especially extended fasting on the order of two days or more, does seem to quiet the body's urges and increase mental focus and clarity. (For example, my scores on speed reading and associated mental tests go up while fasting and down after eating, consistent with medical research, and probably with your own lived experiences with post-Thanksgiving torpor.)

Understanding the actual physical benefits of fasting puts at least part of the spiritual aspect of fasting into plain and sensible perspective.

I will be fasting as much as possible this week in preparation for this Friday's fast. I invite you to do so too, and to spend as much time in calm reflection/meditation/thoughtfulness/mindfulness as you can, including mindfulness of other people who are suffering, and seek ways to help. And if you choose to consult with God--whatever your religion, and even if don't believe He's really there or if He's listening to you--I believe that having your body in a fasted state will maximize your chances of perceiving and recognizing the quiet suggestions of the Holy Ghost to your spirit.

My best wishes to you all.

-Max



 --

I could not love thee dear, so much,
Loved I not honor more.

No comments: