Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Correct principles of Feminism

Here's a quotation from Jesse W. Crosby that you may find interesting.

One day when the Prophet carried to my house a sack of flour he had borrowed, my wife remarked that he had returned more than he had received. He answered that it should be so; that anything borrowed should be returned always with interest to the lender. "Thus," he said, "the borrower, if he be honest, is a slave to the lender."

Some of the home habits of the Prophet--such as building kitchen fires, carrying out ashes, carrying in wood and water, assisting in the care of the children, etc.--were not in accord with my idea of a great man's self-respect. The above incident of the Prophet carrying the sack of flour gave me the opportunity to give him some corrective advice which I had desired to do for a long time. I reminded him of every phase of his greatness and called to his mind the multitude of tasks he performed that were too menial for such as he; to fetch and carry flour was too great a humiliation. "Too terrible a humiliation," I repeated, "for you who are the head, and you should not do it."

The Prophet listened quietly to all I had to say, then made his answer in these words: "If there be humiliation in a man's house, who but the head of that house should or could bear that humiliation?"

1.) Feminism sometimes gets a bad rap amongst members of the Church, but I rather like it. I've heard older women observe that younger families divide labor differently than they did--the men are more involved with the children and household chores. I think there's a lot of truth to feminism.

2.) Matt. 16:22-23 may strike a person as odd, that Peter actually thinks to rebuke Jesus, the Christ. The account above captures the spirit of what I think happened there--people don't always recognize righteousness when they see it, and Peter apparently thought Jesus was inappropriately discouraged, lacking hope, and rebuked him, thinking he was helping. In Jesse's case he was rebuking Joseph in a correct principle, but not counter to the prophecies and commandments of God, and so Joseph's reply was considerably milder than Jesus' to Peter: "Get thee behind me, Satan; thou art an offense unto me."

-Max

--
"The presentation or 'gift' of the Holy Ghost simply confers upon a man the right to receive at any time, when he is worthy of it and desires it, the power and light of truth of the Holy Ghost, although he may often be left to his own spirit and judgment." --Joseph F. Smith (manual, p. 69)

Be pretty if you are,
Be witty if you can,
But be cheerful if it kills you.

No comments: