Friday, February 1, 2008

Tender mercies

By the way, word of the day today was "assuage," with this note attached:

To "assuage" is to sweeten or make agreeable or tolerable, and it is far from the only English word for relieving or softening something difficult. Others include "allay," "alleviate," and "mitigate." "Allay" implies an effective calming or soothing of fears or alarms, while "alleviate" implies temporary or partial lessening of pain or distress. "Mitigate" suggests moderating or countering the force or intensity of something painful.

What really struck me was not the word "assuage" itself so much as the wording of the other synonyms, each reinforcing a message. I feel like this was Father, being thoughtful. I don't know for sure, of course, but it seems like him. Maybe someday I'll ask.

~Maximilian

P.S. I'm also thinking of 1 Nephi 15:5. Things always seem bigger while they're new to you. I don't mean to trivialize the destruction of the Nephites, and maybe this is a subject for another time, but--uh, shutting up. I don't think I can express the thought without being insensitive to the feelings of some readers.

--
"The presentation or 'gift' of the Holy Ghost simply confers upon a
man the right to receive at any time, when he is worthy of it and
desires it, the power and light of truth of the Holy Ghost, although
he may often be left to his own spirit and judgment." --Joseph F.
Smith (manual, p. 69)

Be pretty if you are,
Be witty if you can,
But be cheerful if it kills you.

No comments: